2 Aug 2007

RR-002: Episode 1- run up to the first date

It was early evening. The campus was buzzing with activity. Who was going out with whom, what would everybody be wearing, why were the haves ( in terms of dates) better than the have nots, why were they worse off, what was the probability of fireworks etc etc. Seemed like a good time for a game of football. But just as I was starting to tie the shoe laces, in barged into my room a group of second yearites. It seemed that a round up was under way. Apparently my theory had failed or some would say that it had been too successful as with a vast multitude coming to the same conclusion, about a quarter of the ladies were without dates.

In no uncertain terms we were cursed for being spineless and shameless and marched off to the Ladies Hostel. Being among the first to arrive there, I was entrusted with the task of using the intercom to woo the "unwooed" ladies. A dozen guys were standing behind me giving the impression of death row prisoners waiting for the firing squad.

Having not had too much experience in wooing ladies unwooed or otherwise, I picked up the receiver and stood listening to the rythmic tringing of the telephone. On hearing a feminine voice I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind "For all the girls who dont have dates, there are a lot of guys waiting downstairs". There was an incredulous silence for a long moment after which a tirade started and I hastily flung down the receiver and cut the torrent. After managing to dodge the man hunt through some astute manouvering I managed to reach back to safety only to be caught by another group.

And it was just my luck that in the near vicinity, there was one of the 'unwooed'. Well, I have done my share of difficult things in life ( as have most of us I presume) but asking a girl out in the classic 'down on one knee' technique with an imaginary rose in my hand in front of 20 cackling, whistling and howling senors and senoritas would rank right up there I guess.

But as the title suggests, this was just the run up. The real fun was yet to begin.

1 comment:

A said...

methinks the imaginary rose should have been held between the teeth and not in the hand :)

welcome to the blogosphere :)

RR - 028: When Bob got Directly Marketed

This is an incident which happened with Bob when he was working Down South. Bob was staying on rent in an apartment which was situated on...